Monday, September 22, 2014

Formulas for September Skies

From my September Skies Article in my Dyeing Matters Column on The Welcome Mat

 Storm Froth 


Storm

Both are from the same recipe:

Over 1/4 yd of wet natural wool with Majic Carpet Dyes using the dye bath method.
Dissolve these together in 1/4 cup of boiling water and top off to 1 cup with cooler water.
 1/8th tsp. Blue
1/32 tsp. Chocolate brown

I did something special  to help you get good light blues which can be difficult.
I measured out 1 tbsp. of the Storm formula and placed it in a dye bath with 1/4 yd of wet natural wool. I processed this colour without adding acid.
After the dye bath cleared I placed the wool into an acid and water bath, 8 cups of water 1 tsp. acid.
Storm Froth was the result of that tablespoon of dye recipe over 1/4 yard of wool.

Use the rest of the formula to create Storm as pictured, it will not make a difference to the colour if the tbsp is used for Storm Froth or not, proceed with or without it.

Happy Dyeing!

1 comment:

  1. Just add some grey and you have what I'm seeing out the window right now. Oh, also add some black asphalt and yellow graders on the highway.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete