Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Let's take a look at this!



Yes my friends, it's that time again.... I found this in the LACMA Collection of textiles.
Peru, South Coast, Nasca, Wari - related, Man's tunic 500 - 800 Textile
Camelid fiber , tied dyed ( shibori ) plain weave with discontinuous warps and wefts.
35"x45"

What do I want to talk about ? A buncha rectangles on a bunch of squares...
Are you bored yet?

I want to start by saying this is a very appealing work of modern art for such an old piece.
So what is new is really old or what is old is new again....whatever. This tunic has many good design and colour secrets and stories to reveal to us when we look closely.
I see 5 colour families
yellow
green blue
red
white
yellow green
That's a very fine number of families to involve in any project, the uneven number is always welcome.
The colours, via the resist dyed patches play and replay over the construction of this tunic.
If you look at the vertical lines you can see 3 or 4 of the colours in each stripe as well as the foundation colour. This helps us feel deeply satisfied and allows us to feel delighted when something unexpected pops up.
Then we look from side to side we can see the resist squares are punctuated with plain ones. Partnered with a lighter or darker square they march along like an old married couple, present but with thoughts of their own ready to come together in conversation if something intrigues.
I love also the pattern shifting from side to side on the stripes. Like driving on a curvy road on a summer day, the fresh breezes coming from different directions at each turn. Ohhhh that's good.

What do you think of that white bar?
For me it is a wonderful high spot of focus, needed when other values are close. It is the TADA moment wedged between two darks.

Oh and can I talk about that olively green a minute? That dull old bit'a business just makes this tunic rock. It ain't saying much but when it does it's like a piece of plain cheese cake, you are just so glad it was there. I say was there because it was so good you ate it. Imagine it not being there, not right is it?

Lets look at those little tie dye or resist squares.
See how each one has an X in it? And round ended diamonds that match up with the other square. My how our eyes like to look for this pattern once we recognize it, we dance around looking for what we know. It's like going to a dance and spotting your friends across the hall. Anxiety dissolves into joy when we see them scattered around.

Take time to take a good look at something today, it will do you good!

A little something for you from my boyfriend!
"Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift. "
Albert Einstein


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for helping me take a second/third/fourth look at this beautiful textile piece. Fun!

    I'm looking at your blog for the first time, and can see I will put it on my bloglist and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C and G, I'm so glad to have you here reading and I love getting comments.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanda I love it when you do these "pay attention to this for a minute" articles. This one in particular really opened my eyes. The symmetry in line, but asymmetry in color just grabs me.
    Also love the above quote from your boyfriend. That feeling of discovering when looking...yes I agree tis one of life's greatest pleasures! I want to me more aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia!
    It does me a world of good to look this way too and I'm so glad you like it.
    My boy friend, I don't know if you've ever heard of him, he is very clever.

    ReplyDelete