Thursday, February 18, 2010

Making Mistakes

Here is Ness holding one of my greeting cards I make, this one was for her and Matt at Valentines, I call them Gwabbits and each one is different, crazy and fun. I just let them develop, I just go with whatever comes about. I let the good times and the mistakes roll.

You know what? Making mistakes, that is where the real learning is done.
Do you think you learn anything when things are smooth and easy and go quickly?

I'm not saying we have to struggle in deprivation to make art but if we want to push forward and make greater things we will have to strive a bit.
I'm not talking about the kind of striving that appears when we are just doing as others have done, maybe calling it something else or saying it's something new. I'm talking about the kind of thinking and action that requires GUTS.

All the great ideas you have can be perfect in your mind. Well, they look so good and all the colours are just right and it is so easy to make things this way. Aren't they best left there where nothing can go wrong?

The thing about creating it is an action. It requires movement and direction, plan and drive.
It requires skills and tools and it requires humility and acceptance. It requires bravery.


If you don’t make mistakes, you aren’t really trying. -Coleman Hawking

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. -Edward Phelps


2 comments:

  1. I like the thought that creating is an active thing to do. So many rely on patterns and color plans by others that they really don't have the full experience of creation.

    ReplyDelete