Friday, August 21, 2009

The Perils of The Student/Teacher Relationship

A few days ago I got a letter from a person who had been hurt by a rug teacher she had.
I found this letter interesting. It led me to think of times I've had a whole class declare me the second coming with one dissenter who wished I was shot and pissed, tarred and feathered and ran out of town in lieu of pay !

Here is sorta what I said, I removed the personal stuff.

I had to think several days about your problem and I apologize for leaving you swinging.
Generally rug hookers are good people but just like the rest of the population they have their quirks. Although you probably wouldn't ever do something like that we aren't all blessed with the same guide of manners.
I think frequently instructors of all kinds don't realize the extent of their influence. I always say people might not remember what you taught them but they will never forget how you treated them. Your story holds this adage to be true.
So what to do now so you feel better ?
If you can find it in your heart to think there might have been extenuating circumstances and give this person a second chance with caution that might be beneficial to you. Harbouring hurt feelings is very seldom healthy. You could also ask if you did something wrong, in my experience with this you rarely hear the truth but its worth a try. Something I've found out the hard way, for most people teaching is a business, they are just doing a job. I think this job is more of a vocation though and we carry the physical, emotional, intellectual and even spiritual needs of our students in our hands before, during and after teaching. Students are treasures we need to handle with care. Not everyone thinks this ! Try to forgive this person and carry on with your splendid journey all the richer. Take from this person the positives you gained and leave the negatives in your wake. No one can take away from you the amazing being you are, unless you let them.

Isn't that true of all our experiences ?
Here's a picture of Loyalist students hard at work !

No comments:

Post a Comment